Saturday, January 14, 2006

Probability Review

We are having a test next week over probability of compound events, and I wanted to share with you some websites I found that will help you review what we have learned. Let me know which of these you found to be helpful!

Basic Probability Module This site takes you through a review of compound probability then lets you take a test. At the end of the test you are told which sections to review if you missed any question.

Lesson on Single and Compound Events Ignore the part about permutations and combinations. You will learn those terms later.

Practice Working with Single and Compound Events This page accompanies the previous link. There are practice problems for you to answer. I like the chance to click on an explanation of each problem before you answer it!

Explore Learning Gizmos This page lists each section in our textbook and a "gizmo" to go with each one. If you scroll down to Chapter 9, you will find "gizmos" to accompany probability. Try 9.1 and 9.3. You may have to download Shockwave, and for some reason my computer isn't cooperating. I haven't tried these, but they look interesting. You can use a 30-day free trial to play, and I think you can play anytime for 5 minutes. I would like to hear from anyone who was able to get this to work.

edHelper.com is another site that lets you try a little of their product for free. I found sample worksheets on the Fundamental Counting Principle, Compound Probability, and more Compound Probability. If you do any of these, print them out and bring them to me for extra credit!

Mrs. Glosser's Math Goodies has a lesson on Probability of Independent Events. This shows you how to do what we are learning Tuesday. At the bottom of the page there is a quiz.

There are online version of our textbooks(7th Math and Pre-Algebra) that have some excellent resources. I gave students the username and password to access the actual textbook earlier in the year. If you need those again, email me. (I think I shouldn't post them to the web.) However, you can access the following pages without the password: Parent and Student Study Guide, Extra Examples (Click on the chapter you want and then click on the section. The test will cover sections 9.1-9.3), and a Chapter Test (remember - we haven't covered all of chapter 9). The sidebar to these pages will also take you to some other areas. All of these links are from the 7th grade math book. There are similar activities in the Pre-Algebra site. Compound probability is on the ARMT, and the Pre-Algebra students did not study this last year.


Have fun with these! If you run across any other sites that would be helpful, email them to me and I will add them to the list.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Miracle!! I checked out some of the sites and they like really help!! And I'm the first to comment! yay

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home