Friday, January 13, 2006

Probability...It's FUNdamental! (Thurs., Jan. 12)

Sorry about not posting yesterday! I tried to do it quickly between classes, but I forgot to save my post before I logged off the Internet! I didn't have time later.

Yesterday we discovered the Fundamental Counting Principal. The definition is in the textbook, but here is my version in plain English.

To determine the number of possible outcomes in a compound event (more than one action is taking place), multiply the number of possible outcomes for each action.

For example, Andy has 5 shirts, 3 pairs of pants, and 6 pairs of socks. How many different outfits can Andy choose with a shirt, pair of pants, and pair of socks?

5 x 3 x 6 = 90 different outfits

Sometimes you have to read the problem very carefully to work it correctly!

Homework from Thursday:
Math (1st, 2nd 5th): p. 376, # 15-17 and p. 380, # 9-15, 21-26
Pre-Algebra (3rd, 4th): p. 638, #14-26, 29, 30

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home